Browned Butter Sage Stuffing with Walnuts & Cranberries
A little twist on a classic – nutty browned butter, toasted walnuts, and tart cranberries add depth to ordinary stuffing.
For the stuffing:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, tops and ends trimmed, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
2 sticks butter, cut into cubes
1 package Ernessi Farms sage, divided
2 quarts chicken stock
½ cup dried cranberries
12oz. rustic ciabatta bread, cut into cubes and left out to dry overnight
12 oz. classic white bread, cut into cubes and left out to dry overnight
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add oil to pot. Add in onion and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant, about two minutes more.
- While vegetables cook, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about four minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove walnuts from skillet and add butter, cooking until butter melts and begins to bubble. Swirl pan continually, keeping butter in motion until solids begin to fall to bottom and begin to brown. Butter will become fragrant and turn a deep golden color, stir in 12 leaves of sage before removing from heat.
- Pour browned butter and sage into vegetable mixture and add chicken stock. Stir together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place bread cubes into a large bowl. Begin pouring stock mixture over top, stirring to dampen all bread. Mix in walnuts and cranberries. Add a touch more stock if needed. Pour into prepared pan and cover with tinfoil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 – 45 minutes before removing foil and baking for 15 – 20 minutes more, until top is golden brown.
- Serve at Thanksgiving alongside all the classics!