BEER BATTERED FISH TACOS WITH CILANTRO LIME SLAW & KALE MICROGREENS
Friday’s Fish Fry just got an upgrade! Now the beer battered fish lies on a bed of kale microgreens surround by a tangy coleslaw and bright cilantro. All wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla!
For the fish:
4 cups canola or vegetable oil
2 pounds fresh white fish, such as cod, cut into 3-inch pieces
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ cup cornstarch
1 whole egg
1 12-oz. can beer, such as a Mexican lager or pilsner
Dash of your favorite hot sauce, such as Cholula
- Pour the oil in the bottom of a heavy bottomed Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Place a food thermometer or instant read thermometer into the oil. Warm oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Adjust heat to maintain this temperature for the entire cooking process. (If using a fryer, simply set it to 350 degrees and wait for it to preheat.)
- Lay fish flat on a large cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Remove 1 cup of the flour mixture to a shallow baking dish, such as a pie plate, and whisk in the cornstarch – this will be the dry mix. Pour the egg, beer and hot sauce into the remaining flour mixture and whisk until smooth – this will be the wet mix.
- Working with a few pieces of fish at a time, dredge in the dry mixture, turning to coat and shaking off the excess. Dip into the wet mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Carefully place in hot oil and cook for two minutes, turn fish and cook two minutes more.
- When fish is golden brown and cooked through, remove from oil and place on a cooling rack set over a paper towel lined baking tray. To keep fish warm while frying the rest, place in oven with the light turned on.
- Repeat process with remaining fish.
For the coleslaw:
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 small head Napa cabbage, sliced very thin
1 cup matchstick carrots
2 scallions, ends trimmed and sliced thin
1 package Ernessi Farms cilantro (minus a few sprigs for additional garnish), diced fine
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime zest and juice until smooth. Add in cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cilantro, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the tacos:
1 package Ernessi Farms kale microgreens
Reserved cilantro, for garnish
Shaved radishes or Ernessi Farms radish microgreens, for garnish
Lime wedges, for serving
- To warm tortillas, place over the open flame of a gas burner until lightly charred, using tongs flip and char the other side.
- Layer the kale microgreens, fish, slaw, cilantro, and radish on the warmed tortillas. Drizzle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired. Serve immediately.